I'm someone who absolutely loves all kinds of fashion books, and I am always reading a fashion book. I want to share my knowledge on these books, no matter if they are photography books, books on designers, books with outfits or fashion sketches in them, or any other type of books on fashion. So read my reviews and feel welcome to give me tips on other good fashion books that I have not read yet!

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Review: Parisian chic by Ines de la Fressange

Like I mentioned in a previous post, I got the book "Parisian Chic - A style guide" by Ines de la Fressange recently, and now I have had a chance to read it.
I expected this book to be a book about the fashion sense of the chic Parisiennes, but actually, it is only part style guide, and not a very original one at that, and part a travel guide to Paris.

Now, I am not saying there is anything wrong with reading about what restaurants to go to in Paris and so on, but it really wasn't what I was expecting from this book, so I have to say I was a bit dissapointed because of that.

The book does, however, have parts that are a very nice read for those mostly wanting to read about fashion as well.
For example, Ines de la Fressange explains why:
Coordinating is a crime, according to Parisians
They love trying out new labels
They don't like looking rich
It is important for them that the garments are comfortable
They love combining black and navy
They plan their clothing purchases
How they mix things up and make them interesting

So I definitely would not say the book was not a good read, or about Parisian chic at all, I just expected there to be MORE of these things in the book.

Either way, if you are a huge fan of Paris, consider getting this book, otherwise, there are better Parisian style guides out there.

(pic from Aestetic Alterations)

1 comment:

  1. I had similar impressions of this book which I received as a present. I wanted so much more from her with regards to style advice. Even though a lot of her tips are not relevant to me (like washing your hair everyday- that just makes my hair dry and brittle!) Also the travel guide section seems like it is relevant for right now but what about in 10 years? I wish she had turned this into two books- one focusing solely on style and one on travel guide. Her daughter is so beautiful though in the pics!

    ReplyDelete